Friday, February 10, 2012

Kesari (Sooji Halwa)

   
Just a few pictures which I took long back...Kesari

I know most of you might be making it already. Based on a cousin's request, posting this recipe now, very easy Indian Dessert....I use 1:1:2.5 cups for Rava:Sugar:Water as ratio. Please modify according to your taste and ingredients (as sugar in India is diff textured than here)

* Dry roast 1 cup white rava in mid flame - well (this you can do ahead and save it in a box)
* Measure 1 cup sugar and add little powdered elachi to it
* Add ghee to tava, roast cashews and save it in a cup
* In the same tava, add 1/4th cup water and boil, then add saffron
* Turn off, leave it for few mins
* Then add to the same 2.5 cups water and bring to boil
* Add rava slowly by stirring and then in few mins, when dry, add sugar, stir till it thickens
* Then add ghee and keep stirring, then turn off
* Transfer to a greased plate. Slice it and place cashews.

I do this in a non-stick pan, so it is easy to stir.

1 comment:

. said...

Looks delicious! Unfortunately I have none of the specialty Indian ingredients to make it with in my area! I hope eventually I can find some indian recipes that have easily accessible american substitutes so I can make similar foods! Sort of looks like Baklava (I don't know if you know it)?